Friday, February 12, 2010

Am I in serious trouble? False name to an officer.?

I live in Minnesota. I got arrested 3 months ago for giving a false name (my best friends name) to an officer. Though I could have given her birthdate also, I gave my own. I am also charged with driving with a suspended license... though a month before the arrest I renewed my license and wasn't informed that it had been suspended. No letter in the mail. Nothing.





My court date is approaching and I know I will be charged with gross misdemeanor giving a false name to an officer. I have never been in trouble with the law and the most I've gotten is a speeding ticket. I'm worried about what my punishement will be. Will I get fines only, because it's my first offense... or do I have to await the doom that comes with a gross misdemeanor? Thoughts? I'm soooo nervous. I've never been in trouble like this before. Damn drunken stupidity :(Am I in serious trouble? False name to an officer.?
As a probation officer I have some experience with individuals charged with this type of offense. Under most circumstances, and I mean about 90% of these types of cases, with no prior criminal record, the offender will be placed on probation, have to pay a lot of fines and fees, do community service, and in certain situations may be ordered to go to jail. Usually the jail sentences are suspended, meaning you don't have to go to jail as long as you obey the Court.Am I in serious trouble? False name to an officer.?
Well, here's an interesting question:





If you didn't know your license was suspended, why did you lie about your name?





Sounds like you are lucky you didn't also get a DWI...





Anyway, you will probably not go to jail, but this is not going to be cheap, either.
With friends like you, who needs an enemy? In Ohio, it's call ';Obstructing Official Business'; and yes, you would be fined and probably do jail time.

No comments:

Post a Comment