Monday, February 8, 2010

Writing under a false name/alias?

I'd like to start writing short stories and then maybe a novel sometime in the future if things work out for me. The problem is, I don't want to use my real name. Is it still common for people to use false names? I can see this working for novels but what about when entering short story competitions?





How would I go about using a false name or must I use my own?Writing under a false name/alias?
You can write under a pen name or pseudonym, if you wish. You don't have to use your own name. Some writers opt to use pen names for a number of reasons.





You can use a pen name when you submit any sort of manuscript.





If there is to be a payment for the work, you will have to submit accurate information regarding your name, social security number, etc. Just make it clear the the publication is to bear the pen name.





It's not a big deal.Writing under a false name/alias?
You can use a false name. It is called a pen name. I believe though you would have to tell your editor or somebody your real name. Mark Twain, Lemminy Snicket, and many others use pen names, but I would advise you to choose a pen name that is not common sounding and choose wisely.


Yes it is perfectly common, in fact, it is sometimes advised to do so.
You can use a pen name. There are some authors like Lemony Snickets, Author of The Series of Unfortunate Events who writes under a pen name. (That is his pen name.) And the author of the Private series, Kate Brian, well that is really her pen name. Her real name is Kiraen Scott. I think that you could definitely use one.
I publish short fiction under a pseudonym. Typically publishers request you tell them the name you want to be published under (whether it be your given name or a fake name). If they don't, on the title page of your MS use your pseudonym as your name.
Well I'm not sure how common it still is, but Stephen King uses a false name. Here's an interview with another author using an assumed name, http://www.nytimes.com/books/00/01/30/re鈥?/a>





Hope that helps.
They're called pseudonyms, and yes, they are common. Perhaps you shouldn't use one in a competition, but for publishing, it's okay.
  • Contagious rash
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment