Wednesday, February 10, 2010

What was the name of the false mental illness that was commonly diagnosed in escaped slaves, pre-civil war?

if you know, please tell me the sit where you got your info or a site where i could go.What was the name of the false mental illness that was commonly diagnosed in escaped slaves, pre-civil war?
The ';disease'; was termed Drapetomania. Check out the ';Scientific Racism'; section of the page below:What was the name of the false mental illness that was commonly diagnosed in escaped slaves, pre-civil war?
Drapetomania (or Dysaethesia Aethiopica), ';hebetude of the mind and obtuse sensibility of the body-a disease peculiar to Negroes called by overseers-Rascality. '; I have to admit I never once heard of it until I looked up the answer to this question even though I'm a huge southern history buff, so thanks!





http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drapetomani鈥?/a> (among others)

No comments:

Post a Comment