Friday, February 12, 2010

What do you think about me using a false name in AA?

I got into AA from two MIPs. I am not an alcoholic. However, I still go from time to time because I have some friends in there and also I enjoy studying the program. I plan on being a Psychologist one day and studying the effectiveness of AA. I am also going to write a book on the program.





So will people be mad if they find out my name is fake? Why do you think I use a false name?





I will tell people after I get some answers!What do you think about me using a false name in AA?
FYI for previous posters:





I have never been an alcoholic, but I am allowed to attend some AA meetings, especially in support of someone who does have a drinking problem. There are other meetings open only to AA members.





And, no, I don't think I am ';better'; than my alcoholic friends.......What do you think about me using a false name in AA?
I think (and I have studied psychology in college as a part of my degree) that you feel you do not belong with those people, your better than them. Maybe that is hard to see for yourself, it always is hard to look at ourself honestly, but it seems to be the case. As you find yourself connecting with them I am guessing you want to tell them the truth. They have become human to you and not just a stranger. You have realized that they are real people with real problems like everyone else. This is all my guess. This is a fascinating question and your future sounds very bright. I would say tell them you have used a fake name and tell them why. I doubt one person will be mad. Everyone in that room has done things much worse that what you have done and none of you should judge each other. Good luck.
Well, as a former member of AA, I agree with you about the potential harmful nature of the program. That's why I left. It really is a sick place to go.





However, if you want to find out what goes on, you don't need to use a fake name and pretend to be an alcoholic. That's completely unnecessary.





According to the traditions of AA, ';the only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking';. And it's a one day at a time program. So if, on the day you go to a meeting, you desire to not drink that day, you're all set. Just go and say the following: ';Hi, I'm [first name], and I have a desire not to drink today.';





It works--I've heard that a lot at closed meetings. People will just think you don't want to say the ';A'; word, which isn't that unusual. And if it comes your turn to talk, just say ';I'll pass for today.';





But don't BS. Take the high road.
Two drunks meet in a bar, the first one asks ';Hey Joe! Hows it going?'; Joe holds his finger to his lip and say's '; SSSHHHH! I'm supposed to be anonymous!';





To answer your question people will be upset and feel that youv'e played them for fools, which you have. By pretending to be a person with a drinking problem you might be able to get people to open up to you in ways they might not if they knew you were studying them. The end justifys the means I guess.
I think the people who are there who are alcoholics will be upset if you are posing to be an alcoholic. But if you are there and haven't said you are, and that you are there with friends for support, then your real name doesn't matter I guess.
Just be true to yourself and use it as you AA name. because if anyone no you are there they may not be as truthful.

No comments:

Post a Comment