Sunday, February 7, 2010

Can I cash a check that is under a false name?

This will sound like a dumb question, but I take artistic nude photos and I have them online, and I go under a made up name. I got a fan that sent me money, with a check made out to this false name, because they obviously don't know my real name. Can I cash it? Obviously the fake named person doesn't exist, so am I screwed? Thank you!Can I cash a check that is under a false name?
It happened to me some times. Just sign the back with the same name on the check and deposit it in your account, like the fictitious person has endorsed it to you , if the teller gives you any trouble go to another branch. If the check is not fraudulent you are doing nothing wrong. It's your moneyCan I cash a check that is under a false name?
In your case it wasn't a false name it was an ';aka';. Years ago I ran a business and some would send me checks under the company name and I still cashed them. When I deposited them I would sign the name that was on the check and then I would sign my own name under that.


Depositing them gives the bank more faith that you are the person that should be cashing the check. Even this can be a problem cause banks don't like to deposit 3rd party checks anymore. That's a check that's made out to your aunt and you give her cash for the check and then put it in your account...





But, with all the banking changes due to 9-11, this might be a problem for you. They might want you to have both the names on your account. Not necessarily on your checks, but on the bank statement that comes to your house.





This could become a true aggravation. Might require you having a business license and being registered. Have your seen the entries in your local paper that lists new businesses with an ';aka'; entry? It helps the public know who they are dealing with.





If you don't have a bank account, and you don't have ID that proves the false name...and it doesn't sound like you do...you are gonna have a problem...





Have the person that wrote the check reissue one in your name.


That's about your only way out of this...sorry
You should be able to register your ';artistic name'; with the bank and cash checks using it. Ask your bank for details about their procedure. Some banks will require a separate business account, some might let you use your personal account but put a hold on the funds until the check clears.
  • Contagious rash
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment